John Hay Students, Families, and Staff,
Spring sports are officially back and begin Monday 2/22! I know this is short notice, but we just received this announcement. So, if you are interested in playing a spring sport please read this message carefully.
Spring sports consist of :
- Boys Track
- Girls Track
- Boys Tennis
Tryouts and practices will begin the week of 2/22 and more information with specifics will become available next week once we have more information.
First, if you are a student interested in a Spring sport, click here to fill out the interest form.
Second, to be eligible for Spring sports you will need each of the following:
- An updated OHSAA physical. This needs to be completed by a medical professional and scanned (or, CLEAR pictures of each page) and emailed to AD Thornburg at email@example.com with the subject line “[Your name]’s Physical”. You will receive a confirmation email in under 48 hours if it was received and processed. You also need to turn in the physical to your coach in person. https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows.net/files/Sports-Medicine/PPE_2020-21.pdf
- A fully complete and signed Final Forms account. If you have an account from last year, you just have to update your forms and you’re good to go. If you are new, sign up and fill out the appropriate forms. Follow the instructions here: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/sportshub2-uploads-prod/files/sites/2278/2019/07/24123855/FF_ParentPlaybook_CMS-1.pdf
- To be fully academically eligible. As of this update, 2/12/21, the academic requirements are the same as always. You must have received at least a 2.0 in quarter 2, gotten 0 Fs, and maintain 5 credit hours of classes. If requirements change, it will be communicated.
Tryouts / Practices / Games will follow all of the OHSAA COVID-19 protocols for each sport. Some highlights of the protocols are:
- All students go through a health screening at arrival each day. This includes a temperature check and health questionnaire. If a student fails the screening they will be sent home immediately and will need to be cleared by a medical professional before returning.
- Upon passing the health check, students will immediately sanitize their hands.
- Hand sanitizer will be available and equipment will be regularly sanitized.
- Students are required to wear masks at all times when not actively playing/participating. Masks will be provided if students do not have one.
- Coaches are required to wear masks at all times.
- When not actively participating in the sport, students will be socially distant (6ft+ apart).
- Students must bring their own water / water bottle.
- Students should arrive already dressed for practice/games when possible.
There are more specifics than the ones listed above and each sport has specific guidelines for that sport. These sport-specific guidelines will be communicated with each team.
If you still have any other questions, please contact myself (email or text) or the respective coach for the sport you want to play. You can contact coaches here. More updates will come soon.
Michael Thornburg, MA
Educator: Cleveland School of the Arts
Athletic Director: John Hay High School
Work Cell: (216) 282-6356